Sunday, July 12, 2009

Some Friendly Neighbors

Our next door neighbors are pretty nice. (I think we are REALLY lucky!) The "S" family has been here in the neighborhood awhile. They've raised two boys - D & J. D is presently serving in Afganistan in the Marines and will be for the next year. J will be following in his father's and brother's footsteps in a month. When we talk with him, he tells us he is excited and anxious to go. His mom and dad are very, very proud. (Especially his dad who is a die hard, "Semper Fidelis" kind of a guy.) This evening is his graduation party and we are looking forward to congratulating him on his career choice.

Just this week J has taken a few of the little kids on our street under his wing and invited them to just hang out with him and his buddies. I think this says a lot about the character of these young adults that they would take precious time away from their friends/girlfriends just to play ball or ride a scooter with a 4 and 5 year old. They are really making an effort to talk to the kids. They know they won't ever get this last summer of freedom back and yet they are taking the time to just play and get to know these children. It makes my princess feel very special to play with the big kids. Someday (soon) they will have jobs, families, adult responsibilities to take care of. I'm really in awe. I didn't think this happened anymore. I'm so glad it's happening here and that we get to be part of it. When those responsisbilities come I think these kids (ah hem, excuse me - "Young Adults") will be ready. In the meantime - I think I will just enjoy watching them play with the kids and thank God that they are my neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment